1. Start with a 1lb bag of dry beans. I used a 2lb bag since my Marine and my football player eat a TON. Wash beans and pick out any rocks. Pour in crockpot.
2. Cover with water until there is at least an inch above the beans. You may have to add more water as the beans cook. I add:
1 beef boullion cube
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp minced garlic
3. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Or high for 4-6 hours. 1 hour before serving, slice up a ring of polska kielbasa and half an onion. You could also use smoked sausage or something similar. If you really love onions, chop up the whole. Saute in butter until browned and carmelized.
5. Cook up some rice according to directions.
6. For vinaigrette, chop up half an onion, a green pepper and a red pepper.