Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Black Beans and Rice with Vinaigrette

This is a traditional Brazilian meal. Why Brazilian? My grandparents are missionaries and have spent a lot of time in Brazil. My dad grew up in Brazil, and that side of my family speaks fluent Portugese. I studied Portugese in highschool and got to where I could speak very brokenly. Of course I've kind of forgotten most of it lol. If I had the time, I would definitely pick it back up.

1. Start with a 1lb bag of dry beans. I used a 2lb bag since my Marine and my football player eat a TON. Wash beans and pick out any rocks. Pour in crockpot.

 
2. Cover with water until there is at least an inch above the beans. You may have to add more water as the beans cook. I add:
 
1 beef boullion cube
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp minced garlic
 



3. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Or high for 4-6 hours. 1 hour before serving, slice up a ring of polska kielbasa and half an onion. You could also use smoked sausage or something similar. If you really love onions, chop up the whole. Saute in butter until browned and carmelized.

 
4. Stir into beans.
5. Cook up some rice according to directions.
6. For vinaigrette, chop up half an onion, a green pepper and a red pepper.

 
7. Place in container, cover in white vinager and let sit for an hour before serving.

 
8. Serve up white or brown rice, top with beans, then top with vinaigrette. The vinaigrette is pretty strong so start with a little and then add more if you like it. Yum yum!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment