Tomorrow we will be up at 4am and getting ready for the Color Me Rad 5k. Today I made some baked oatmeal muffins for a quick, healthy breakfast before our race. I made these with the intention of freezing some, but since half of them are already gone it looks like I will be making another batch next week. They were a hit!
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup brown sugar (Use sucanat if you are going sugar-free)
1 sliced banana
1 cup of fruit (frozen or fresh blueberries, cranberries, mango, sliced strawberries ect)
OR 1 cup unsweetened or semi sweet chocolate chips
5 cups old fashioned oats (I used quick oats and it turned out fine)
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 1/2 cups milk
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In large bowl mix eggs, vanilla and applesauce. Add sugar, banana and fruit.
3. In another bowl mix oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and flax seed.
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients until well mixed. Add milk and stir.
5. Spray muffin tins or line with paper bake cups.
6. Bake 30-40 minutes for regular muffins and 15 minutes for mini muffins. Make sure middle of muffins are set.