Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Exploring Joshua Tree

Yesterday we went to Joshua Tree National Park. It was our first time in the park and I can't wait to go back! It's free for active duty and thier dependants and only $5 for civilians.

We did the Skull Rock Trail which was great for the girls. The trail itself was pretty level, but there were plenty of round rocks close to the trail to climb on. Here is a collage I made of the scenery...

It was a beautiful day and the scenery was amazing. The weather was perfect for a hike, warm but with a cool breeze. I'm in love with this area!


 
We spent about 3 hours hiking minus the 15 minutes it took to drive to the trail start.



Stopping for a water break and a picture. Always remember to carry plenty of water when you are in the desert. Well actually anywhere you are hiking!


 
We all had fun trying our hand (or foot) at rock climbing!

I think its very important to instill in our children a love of nature. My kids don't watch a lot of Tv, but I'm trying to cut back on the Tv they do watch. When I was growing up we never had cable, and movie nights were once a week on Fridays. We had to play outside or use our imaginations to entertain ourselves. Some of my best childhood memories were those of exploring the outdoors, going on outdoor adventures with my dad and playing outside with the neighborhood kids. It saddens me so much to see kids glued to a tvs for hours or gaming on the computer oblivious to the world around them. Did you know too much screen time can cause ADHD symptoms, obesity, anxiety and depression? There is so much more to life than video and computer games. Unplugg and get out there and do some exploring!

To celebrate nature I'm doing a giveaway this week for a cool Planet Earth coloring book. Click on the Giveaway tab and follow the instructions to enter.

No comments:

Post a Comment