Saturday, November 24, 2012

Savory Split Pea Soup

Split pea soup is either something you really love or really hate. I happen to really love it, and its cheap to make so I double love it! I have to admit its not the prettiest meal I've ever seen, but it sure is yummy.

 
Ingredients
Bag of dried split peas
1 medium onion, chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
8 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 carrots
Ham hock or Bacon (I used a handful of bacon ends and pieces from a $7 pack I had. Buying the ends and pieces is cheaper than buying the regular packs of bacon and lasts forever.)
salt and pepper to taste
 
1. Rinse and drain peas and add to crockpot. Heat olive oil in a pan and sautee the onion and garlic. Add to crockpot.
 
2. Add in the broth, meat, carrots and salt and pepper, stir well.
 
 
 
 3. Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-6 hours. Stir before serving.
 
 
Ok definitely not the prettiest but its delicious!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment